Многоразовость как бизнес кейс

Автор Salo, 03.01.2016 16:13:07

« назад - далее »

Salo

По мотивам:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37390.0
Цитироватьgeorgesowers пишет:

As I promised on the Q&A thread, I have posted a simple spread sheet that looks at reuse scenarios parametrically.  I have also posted a white paper that explains the input parameter and math behind the spreadsheet.  Using the tool, I compare two scenarios.  The first is my assessment of full booster stage reuse.  The second is ULA's approach of booster engine reuse.

The figure of merit I chose to evaluate is pure $/kg of the reusable system compared to $/kg of the same system used in expendable mode.  By keeping everything in terms of ratios, you don't need to know anything about actual costs.  I recognize that there are other factors like the quantization of performance and payloads, etc.  (I'll share some of those scenarios later).  But I think this assessment gives you a good intuitive feel for the basic problem and the parameters involved.

An example of where this pure case applies directly is the launch of a commodity like propellant to fill an orbiting stage or depot.  In that case every launcher would load as much as it could carry and $/kg is all that matters.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=8es2rdgk7icn2krbrh2obal8v6&action=dlattach;topic=37390.0;attach=826073    (27.84 kB - downloaded 1393 times.)

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=8es2rdgk7icn2krbrh2obal8v6&action=dlattach;topic=37390.0;attach=826074    (377.22 kB - downloaded 1765 times.)
"Были когда-то и мы рысаками!!!"

Salo

Salo

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37390.msg1372218#msg1372218

Wow! A lot of great discussion.  Let me clarify a few points that came up.

1.  The scenarios were my attempt to compare engine reuse using numbers which pretty well reflect reality for ULA and stage reuse in the mode currently being worked by SpaceX.  The numbers I used for the stage reuse case were a combination of public statements by SpaceX and my own best judgment.  Analysis of a ULA version of stage reuse would be less favorable since our k for the booster is ~0.3, not 0.4 as I assumed for them.

2.  The numbers do not in any way compare SpaceX to ULA costs or performance.  If you look at the derivation of the equation, it compares the reusable version of a rocket to the expendable version of the same rocket.

3.  It would invalidate the equation to include only the marginal (or variable) costs.  As I mentioned in the derivation, the costs must be the total costs, fixed and variable.  It is true that the value of k is dependent on the total launch rate, but the equation assumes the launch rate is the same for the expendable version as the reusable version.  It is completely inappropriate to compare a reusable system launched at a rate of 2x to an expendable system launched at a rate of x.

4. My analysis was trying to tease out the effect of a single variable, reuse versus expendable operations and determine under what conditions reuse could provide cost reductions.  In other words, at some fixed launch rate, is your cost per kg to orbit better or worse (compared to expendable) with reuse. It's well known that the single most important parameter in launch cost is launch rate.  But until we can come up with the killer space app that can generate new demand, worldwide launch demand is stagnant and pretty much inelastic. (You all should get on that.  Homework assignment...)

5.  In case you were wondering, the values of k I used are appropriate for a total launch rate of around 10. The business case for reusability improves as total launch rate increases, but not overwhelmingly.  In fact, as the equation makes very clear, reducing the costs of any the stuff that doesn't get reused (including fixed cost, mission integration, launch operations, etc.) improves the business case for reuse.  Furthermore, if the cost of the booster or engines increases for what ever reason, the business case for reuse improves.  Doesn't mean your competitiveness improved, just means you better figure out how to reuse them, fast!  In fact, we first started to look at engine reuse years ago when we thought we might experience runaway engine cost increases...

6.  As to the notion that mass production might actually result in an increase in unit cost compared to low rate production, it would invalidate the entire industrial revolution  :)

Salo

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37390.msg1468673#msg1468673

I'm bumping this thread in honor of SpaceX's successful landing of the booster at the landing site.  I admire the technological accomplishment.  But the challenge of reuse has never been technological.  It is getting a reasonable business case to close.

I believe the takeaway fr om the 4 pages of discussions above is that the basic equation is valid and that the analysis of barge landing is reasonable.  Conclusion of that analysis was that 10 uses of the booster breaks even in terms of $/kg, 20 uses saves 5%.  Not exactly revolutionary.

Here I want to address two additional questions:
1) What is the influence of overall launch rate?  This question came up in the prior discussion.
2) How does landing at the launch site change the analysis?  Is it better or worse?

Answer 1)  One simple way to understand the influence of rate on launch cost is to think of fixed costs and variable costs.  Fixed costs are relatively high in the launch industry due to the scale of the operations required.  One data point I can offer is that at a 10 per year rate (roughly what Atlas is doing now) about 40% of the unit cost is a 1/10th share of the annual fixed cost.  If the rate doubles to 20 per year, each launch gets only half as much fixed cost and the overall unit cost would decrease by 20%.  Pretty simple.

For the barge launch,  I assumed 40% for the fraction of total launch service cost represented by booster production cost.  If another 40% is fixed cost, then doubling the launch rate increases the booster fraction to 50%.  This improves the business case, so that the breakeven point is down to 5 uses and twenty uses results in a 15% overall savings.

So launch rate is an important consideration and the reuse business case improves with increasing launch rate.  But it is not revolutionary.  Even in the lim it of no fixed cost allocation (infinite launch rate) breakeven is 3 and the 20 use savings is 35%.

Answer 2)  According to SpaceX, (need reference)  90 klbs prop is reserved for barge landing, 200 klbs for return to launch site.  Performance loss is not linear with respect to propellant withheld, so let me be somewhat conservative.  Assume overall performance loss is 50% for return to launch site. (I would love to see some info from SpaceX to verify.)  What is clear is that reserving another 110klbs of propellant will further degrade performance.  The cost savings in doing so is a reduction in recovery cost.  You save the cost of the barge.  On the other hand, you pick up the fixed cost of the recovery site.  I will give the benefit of the doubt by assuming the overall cost of recovery and refurb can be reduced by half.   Even so, this is small compensation for losing another 20% performance.

Plugging these numbers into the formula you find that you never break even.  The best you can do after 20 uses is a 30% $/kg increase.  If you increase launch rate to 20 per year, you can reduce your loss to only 13%.  Not very promising.

The conclusion is clear.  Returning the booster to the launch site significantly degrades the business case relative to barge landing.  And the business case was tough to begin with. A bit premature to be trumpeting a new age in spaceflight.

The real revolution will occur when we can source propellant off earth.

Юрий Морозов

Многоразовость - миф. Точнее , то что она экономична. Это миф.Либо дешевые ракеты, идорогое обслуживание, либо дешевое обслуживание и дорогие ракеты. В общем , то на то и приходится. Все равно платить. Ракета Фалкон не очень дорогая, но ее обслуживание, операции пуска и наростающий вал корпоративной бюрократии съедят всю экономию. А НАСА будет требовать надежности, надежности, надежности. Уже сейчас видно как спадает энтузиазм первых успехов, резко наплывает бюрократический, корпоративный жирок. И Спейс-Х превращается медленно но верно в корпорацию типа Боинг. Со всеми вытикающими последствиями. Еще один супермиллионер и его банда.
А так все красиво начиналось...ну просто Эпл-2, какой то.
И самое мерзкое, сам Элон это понимает и начинает тянуть волынку об опасности 3 мировой и угрозе деградации технологического цикла. Он уже понимает , что рискует просто НЕ УСПЕТЬ...какое печальное зрелище. Но в то же время Шоу Маст Го Он....И мы все понимаем , что кузнечики поскачут по алюминиевому полю, на котором Маск будет сажать свои многоразовые огурцы... 

Дмитрий В.

Ну, вот! Пришел Технократ и всё опошлил. :D
Lingua latina non penis canina
StarShip - аналоговнет!

Искандер

ЦитироватьЮрий Морозов пишет:
Многоразовость - миф. Точнее , то что она экономична. Это миф.Либо дешевые ракеты, идорогое обслуживание, либо дешевое обслуживание и дорогие ракеты. В общем , то на то и приходится. Все равно платить. Ракета Фалкон не очень дорогая, но ее обслуживание, операции пуска и наростающий вал корпоративной бюрократии съедят всю экономию. А НАСА будет требовать надежности, надежности, надежности. Уже сейчас видно как спадает энтузиазм первых успехов, резко наплывает бюрократический, корпоративный жирок. И Спейс-Х превращается медленно но верно в корпорацию типа Боинг. Со всеми вытикающими последствиями. Еще один супермиллионер и его банда.
А так все красиво начиналось...ну просто Эпл-2, какой то.
И самое мерзкое, сам Элон это понимает и начинает тянуть волынку об опасности 3 мировой и угрозе деградации технологического цикла. Он уже понимает , что рискует просто НЕ УСПЕТЬ...какое печальное зрелище. Но в то же время Шоу Маст Го Он....И мы все понимаем , что кузнечики поскачут по алюминиевому полю, на котором Маск будет сажать свои многоразовые огурцы...
В принципе людей с альтернативным восприятием реальности довольно много. Почему-то многие из них не понимают, что суждения любого человека субъективны и поэтому в чем-то ошибочны. Уверовав в собственную непогрешимость они претендуют на истину в последней инстанции... Как-то это даже не смешно.

Многоразовость не миф, многоразовость это вполне решаемая задача, как показывает практика. А вот её экономическую целесообразность в космической технике вообще и в средствах выведения в частности ещё нужно доказать. Всё остальное "бла-бла-бла".

Маск докажет. Возможно не на F-9, но докажет. ПМСМ
Aures habent et non audient, oculos habent et non videbunt

Дмитрий Инфан

ЦитироватьДмитрий В. пишет:
Ну, вот! Пришел Технократ и всё опошлил.  :D
А я с ним согласен.

Виктор Зотов

ЦитироватьДмитрий Инфан пишет:
ЦитироватьДмитрий В. пишет:
Ну, вот! Пришел Технократ и всё опошлил.  :D  
А я с ним согласен.
Я  думаю, что восстановление к повторному полёту первой ступени Флакона - то ещё тот геморр. Нужна полная диагностика, а она денег стоит. И не факт, что все заказчики согласятся с такой возможностью.

vissarion

Цитироватьне факт, что все заказчики согласятся

за X долларов не согласятся, а за X-Y долларов вполне, даже при более высоком риске.
Вопрос в том чтобы найти эту Y скидку чтобы устроила и Маска и заказчиков.
Всё математически просто. Ничего личного, просто бизнес.

Плюс многоразовость даёт доп. плюшки, например, по срокам не нужно изготавливать новую ступень, а это тоже плюс, время-деньги.

Vlad_hm

ЦитироватьВиктор Зотов пишет:
Я думаю, что восстановление к повторному полёту первой ступени Флакона - то ещё тот геморр
Никто, кроме Маска и его инженеров, этой информацией располагать не может.

И даже они наверняка пока владеют ей не во всей полноте. Вернули только одну ступень.
Нужна полная диагностика, а она денег стоит. И не факт, что все заказчики согласятся с такой возможностью.
Маск продаёт билет, а не РН.
Так что нужна ему диагностика, или нет, и какая именно нужна, а какая избыточна, с какой периодичностью - решать только ему.
Заказчикам нужна заявленная (и подтверждённая, разумеется) надёжность.

Quооndo

Многоразовость полюбому дает свои плюсы независимо от гемора по переподготовке ракеты к старту. Тем не менее какие плюсы она дает пока не совсем ясно и вполне может быть что плюсы будут не в двукратном удешевлении запуска а всего 10-15%. И самое главное пока не понятна безопасность и надежность многоразовости. Кроме первой ступени РН пока никто не собирается эту многоразовость больше нигде применять. Все новые перспективные американские пилотируеммые аппараты пока одноразовые. Опыт Шатлов показывает, что есть плюсы и есть минусы. Стоимость всей системы возрастает многократно поэтому плюсы и эффективность многоразовости пока не очень существенна.

Штуцер

ЦитироватьQuооndo пишет:
Все новые перспективные американские пилотируеммые аппараты пока одноразовые.
:?: Dragon V2
Но в виде обломков различных ракет
Останутся наши следы!

silentpom

ну вот формально Дракон сейчас многоразовый, но ему не разрешают

Атяпа

Цитироватьsilentpom пишет:
ну вот формально Дракон сейчас многоразовый, но ему не разрешают
Так по миссиям НАСА не разрешают. Возможны и другие заказчики.
И днём и ночью кот - учёный!

Виктор Зотов

ЦитироватьVlad_hm пишет:
Заказчикам нужна заявленная (и подтверждённая, разумеется) надёжность.
Ну заявить то он сможет, а вот  подтвердить?

Сергей Капустин

Кстати, вариант спасения двигателей который задумывал фон Браун и для Энергии, почему никто особо не пытается воплотить?

Boris Mekler

ЦитироватьСергей Капустин пишет:
Кстати, вариант спасения двигателей который задумывал фон Браун и для Энергии, почему никто особо не пытается воплотить?
ULA собирается подхватывать двигательный отсек вертолётом.

Boris Mekler

Ядумаю, что восстановление к повторному полёту первой ступени Флакона - то ещё тот геморр. Нужна полная диагностика, а она денег стоит. И не факт, что все заказчики согласятся с такой возможностью.
На сайте SpaceX, в вакансиях, была недавно вот такая, на Vehicle Operations Engineer (Launch Engineering):

[/li]
  • Assist in the design and development of processes and ground support equipment for Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, and payloads at our Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg facilities, as well as our rocket development facility in McGregor, TX (position is based in Los Angeles)
  • Identify areas for improvement in the area of rapid and reliable processing, and work with other departments to implement changes to equipment, tooling, operations, and the launch vehicle to serve the company's long term processing goals (48 hour turnaround from stage arrival to launch, and a 4 hour stage acceptance series in Texas)
То есть прицел у них весьма амбициозный, правда сейчас эту вакансию подредактировали.